Castle within the walls

The former residence within the walls of the lords of Vence, situated on the Place Clemenceau, is built on the site of the 13th-century episcopal ‘palace’.

Some parts are of a later date : in the interior courtyard are three mullion windows from the Renaissance period ; on the façade, a shield shows the arms of the Villeneuve : ‘D’or avec six gueules pour six lances’ (gold with six animal’s mouths and six lances).

This coat-of-arms later evolved under Charles VII to become a fleur de lys and gold shield. In 1910 the Town Hall was built on the site of this former palace.

Return to the map of the historic town