Place Antony Mars

The first gate in the walls allowing people to leave the town led to the Place Antony Mars, formerly the Place Vieille.

In 1431 the square was laid out and planted with trees ; the first fountain was installed in 1439, to meet the needs of the people living outside the walls.
It was renamed place Victor Hugo after the death of the poet, before being given the name of a former mayor, the author of comedies and vaudevilles.

Return to the map of the historic town