The Place was formerly the Place du Vieux Cimetière (old cemetery), removed in 1780.
The column of grey Esterel granite, in the middle of the square, is one of the two columns (which previously stood together) presented by the city of Marseille in 230 in honour of the god Mars Vintium.
Formerly inside the Cathedral, they were removed in 1767.
The second column is in the Place du Grand Jardin.
On the north side of the square is a house with an authentic 13th-century twin window.