Porte d’Orient

Monseigneur Moreau (Bishop of Vence, 1759-1763) ordered an opening to be made in the walls in order to reach the Great Seminary more quickly.

In 1787 the commune was persuaded to alter the gate to allow Monseigneur Pisani de la Gaude (Bishop of Vence) to reach the door of the Episcopal palace without descending from his carriage.

Under a window-ledge, to the left of the gate, a stone larger than the others bears the date 1592, and marks the spot where the cannons of Lesdiguières made a breach in the walls during the siege of Vence.

About 100 metres away, on the avenue Alphonse Toreille, is the former seminary, built by monseigneur Godeau in 1669.

Return to the map of the historic town