The Faubourg and the Pontis

The Faubourg, or Avenue Marcellin-Maurel, takes the place of the ancient ditch which separated the town from its ‘suburb’. The houses of the old town were not opened to the outside until about 1840.

The pontis (or covered passage) was opened only in 1863. The trees which lined the Faubourg were cut down in 1910, to make way for the tramway.

Return to the map of the historic town