The Portail Levis

The Portail Levis is one of the three gates of the Roman road.

This ‘portal’ consisted of a square tower, demolished in 1819, with, at ground level, a drawbridge closed by a portcullis.

The boulevard Paul André (the name of a consul of the Ancien Régime) dates from 1832.

It recalls the former defensive town-wall through which, after the year 1333, residents were allowed to pierce windows on condition ‘that they had an iron grill’.

Return to the map of the historic town